Thursday, November 13, 2008

24 weeks, 5 days

Wow I'm wayyy behind with this week's post! :) You can chalk that one up to my need to sleep for 11 hours a night. Although in all fairness, Joey was dragging me to bed at 8:45 last night. 8:45! We're so old and boring now. ;)

We've had a busy week (or 10 days since my last post). We got Renee married and she and Nate are currently basking in the sun in Jamaica while I'm sitting here in cold Nebraska being jealous... A couple pictures for the curious:


Joey and I looking totally confused about the camera:
















Renee and I following suit with a fabulous deer in the headlights look:




















Last Thursday was our first baby care class at St. Eli.zabeth's (even though we're delivering at Bryan... don't ask, it stresses Joey out :o). It was alright. Joey learned how to swaddle our plastic doll baby and we gave him a sponge bath. Joey learned that babies don't actually breathe anything until they're born (other than practicing with amniotic fluid), and I learned all about what happens in the first 2 hours after baby comes. We also got to see infant massage in practice on a real (adorable!) baby. It was pretty cool, Joey and I talked about taking Cletus after he joins us. Tonight is the second class (of 3) - a pediatrician is coming to answer questions and I don't know what else we're talking about. Should be enthralling.


No nephew for us just yet. My sister is still getting that baby good and cute before he joins us. She does have an appointment today though, so we have our fingers crossed. And it's a full moon, so she says today is the day. Apparently babies fall from the sky on full moons. Or something. I happened to look and see that full moons around my due date are on February 9 or March 11. So it's a good thing babies are born on non-full moon eves. I'll take one of those please. And I feel like rubbing in again that I know the naaaaaaameeeeeee, neener, neener, neener. :)


No nursery progress this week. Still recovering from the wedding. I'd like to go get the new ceiling fan this weekend so I can get it put up before I'm not able to get on a chair anymore. (Yes I, me, Alison is going to put the ceiling fan up, but not without the help of my trusty sidekick Joey. :o) So far we've put up 3 ceiling fans together, and they're all still spinning and hanging from the ceiling...)


Hus.ker game this weekend. Things are looking up, at least we're bowl eligible. Hopefully we'll get a fun one, so I can dream of warmer places while I sit in frigid Nebraska (noticing a trend here?).


And lastly, a few development notes. Have a great week!


At this point, your baby is growing steadily, with about a quarter of a pound of new weight and still approximately a foot long. Sure they're not so chubby yet, but just wait that'll come. Their lungs are also getting more prepared for the outside world. 



Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

1 comment:

  1. You have been busy!

    Those baby classes sound fairly useful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!