Wednesday, July 29, 2009

our month!

I've been uncharacteristically quiet lately. You know I always have something to say! We've had a great month, just a very very busy one. I can't believe August arrives on Saturday.

So without further ado, let me catch you up.

July 10/11 we had a family reunion in Colorado for my mom's side of the family. It was in Loveland. Brecken and Barrett finally realize each other exists and that's kind of fun. And it makes all of us very scared for the trouble they will get in. (kidding.) (kinda.)

brecken 071

As you can see, Brecken found his feet. They are now his new favorite extremity to chew on. Which eeks me out to no end, but it's just one of those baby things...

yum yum

My birthday was July 12th. Since we were already in Colorado, Joey and I along with Mindy and Lee, went to the Rockies/Braves game at Coors field. Being Braves fans our entire lives, my sister and I were in heaven!

brecken 097

Joey and I (it was hot, and bright):
brecken 098

my seeeester and I:
brecken 101

Anyway, the game was fun and I got way sunburned. When we got to Grandpa Roger and Phyllis' that night (who were so gracious to watch the boys while we went to the game - THANK YOU!!), all of my aunts and uncles wanted to go to dinner. I agreed but felt yucko from the sunburn. And lo and behold, I was serenaded by a Spanish "Happy Birthday" and got to wear a giant sparkly sombrero.

[Pretend this is a picture of me in a giant sparkly sombrero. I can't find the picture. I'm sure someone has one, it will be coming soon.]

I also got the coolest birthday present ever. It's a plate!
the plate from brecken for my birthday! (with help from daddy)

I also got a Wii, which I've wanted for at least a hundred years. Or two. Two years is probably more accurate.

July 13th, we drove from Estes Park to Grand Lake, through Rocky Mountain National Park, over Trail Ridge Road. This is probably my favorite place on Earth to be. I definitely got to bask in the mountains. If you've never been, you need to go. Trust me.

On the drive, it rained for a little bit. Which was glorious. I love the rain:

brecken 109

brecken 111

Then we got past the storm, the sun came out, and it was gorgeous:
brecken 112

brecken 113

It was really bright, again:
brecken 114

But the views were amazing:
brecken 116

The fact that you see no trees? Means we were above the tree line. Really, really high.
brecken 119

brecken 121

brecken 122

We saw bighorn sheep... though they're a little hidden here. See them?
brecken 126

Here, this will help:
bighorn sheep!

We also saw a momma moose and her calf:
brecken 133

brecken 135

brecken 141

Brecken is a WONDERFUL traveller. He slept most of the car ride through the park, but was happy when he was awake. We're so blessed to have such a happy boy!

Monday night we attempted to swim in the hotel swimming pool, and got all ready to go. Then realized it was empty and closed for maintenance. Boo. But still, baby in swimsuit is fun!
big belly

July 14th, we went to the Denver zoo! It was so much fun. I love this zoo. Brecken enjoyed it:
yes, yes, i am a flirt

Proof that he was, in fact, at the zoo:
brecken 147

Vacation was fun! It was so nice to get away for a while. But we were also so ready to come home.

In Brecken-related news. He has to be about 19 pounds now, according to our best guesstimates. He doesn't go back to the dr until his 6 month checkup on Sept. 4th. He's giant-sized and has cheeks he could stuff acorns in for the winter. He's in 6-9 month clothes, but I'm sure those won't last long either. He rolls now, back to belly and back. He's still super, super laid back. He doesn't move much while he sleeps at all - always in the exact same position as he was when we laid him down. I'm sure that will change at some point.

He's eating 6.5 oz per meal, 5 times a day still (well 7 oz at bedtime). He's on formula part of the time and doing great with it.

He belly laughs and squeals. Sometimes I think he's saying "hi" and "yes", though I know he's probably not, but he says it at the most appropriate moments. Like "are you ready to go to school?" Followed by "YES!" :)

He holds his own bottle. Which is weird to me. He fah-reaks out when we get the bottle near him. I really want to get this on camera. I'm quite confident every baby does this, but it cracks us up every time. It's like he's about jump over both of us to get to it when he sees it coming. Rarely, we'll let him feed himself. I still like to cuddle while he eats, but Mr. Independent likes to do it himself too.

big boy! (and no, he normally doesn't feed himself...)

We'll start him on solids in a few weeks. He'll be 5 months next Friday (the 4th) where, oh where, is time going?!

A few more pics, because I know that's what you came here for ;o):
tummy time allstar

in my big green tractor [shirt]

Plaid, for Auntie Cali:
my dad rocks

blue eyes

Please notice the mohawk, it took a long time to get his hair like that ;)
splish splash

oh boy!

This is how we roll:
heeeeyyyyy up there!

::

When we got back from vacation, we found out that our friends Brad and Janelle Dexter's sweet 2 year old little boy, Christian, was diagnosed with leukemia. It's horrifying. It's gut wrenching. It's sad. It's incomprehensible. But once the initial shock wore off his parents realized the most important thing: it's beatable. And we're bound and determined to get them through this.

Several of us are having a benefit for them in October. A BBQ-feed type thing with an auction. If any of you have experience with this, I'd LOVE to hear your advice. We're well-versed in planning events, but not so much of the benefit/fund raising type. You can email me at alisonrhae at hotmail dot com.

If you have spare prayers/good vibes, I'm sure they'd love all the support. Even from those they don't know. His website is http://www.christiandexter.com/ if you want additional information.

Click here to learn more about Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!