Sunday, January 23, 2011

bedroom redo, project #2

Someday I'll tell you about how I was pregnant with Brecken and omg, the queen bed might as well have been a twin, I needed some space. So we went out and hastily (and for as little money as possible) bought this king size bed. And that is why we have no fancy bed, or bed linens. Because we bought the bed, the sheets, and this quilt that is cute, but so not my style all in a matter of 2 hours.

Well there we go, guess I just told you.

Rambling, what?

p.s. The mattress itself? Sucks. Don't buy the cheapest one at the store, even if it is a Sealy. The end.

So where was I? Oh yes, the bed linens. I bought this quilt/bedspread that didn't have a bed skirt. And the bedding I want to get for our room redo, doesn't have one either. I figured it was beyond time we hide the simple bed frame we have, and shopped a bit online for them. But a) I didn't find much I liked, they were all ruffly and such. I don't do ruffles. And b) they were pretty pricey... I figured for $40-50 I could surely make my own.

I stumbled on a tutorial for a no-sew bedskirt here, and figured even I could do that. I mean strips of fabric? 10,000 times easier than making one with a middle. So I searched for fabric and decided I wanted something gray. Black would show The Dog Hair that takes over our house omg lives among us and white would show Brecken's shoe marks every time he steps on it to get on our bed.

I also found this blog post, which was inspired by the first one. She used an old drapery scarf and guess what? I just happened to have 144" inches of a cream colored linen curtain swag in the closet that the previous owners left.

I'm not even posting steps for you - just use those two blog posts, it's SO easy. All I did was cut my swag in half, lengthwise (you could do the same with normal fabric yardage and hem), and then sew the two lengths together. It reaches all the way around the king box spring (and then some).

I also thought I'd venture into fabric dying, I really wanted Rit's Pearl Gray color, but that seems to not be sold anywhere in Lincoln. So instead I mixed some black and royal blue. And what do you know, it turned out dark royal blue. ;) So I need to re-dye it, but I'm not worried about that part.

Anyway, once the fabric was successfully dyed the wrong color, I just then placed it on the box spring, safety pinned down, and voila!

4 comments:

  1. Totally going to do this soon! I've been searching for a bed skirt for over 3 years now.

    Thanks for the great post and links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so random that you made this yesterday. My mom and I were shopping for 3 hours trying to find one and I ended up with nothing! I want a dark gray one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I had to take the bed skirt off of our bed because Marty hides under the bed and then jumps out at our feet and it scares the crap out of me every time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!