Tuesday, April 19, 2011

his race, from my perspective

Joey and I met almost 7 years ago (nearly to the day that Baby J is due - whoa!) and both of us were probably at our most unathletic. I mean we competed in Going Out With Friends and won gold medals. And we competed in Being Lazy on Sundays and Watching TV All Day and took grand champion.

Most of you know that my husband has gone through a wee bit of a MAJOR transofrmation the last two years. After a bit of prodding, I've convinced Joey to start blogging about his journey. If nothing else, so our kids have something to read in 15 years when we're talking to them about setting goals and other parental things. Look for his posts coming soon.

: :

His story really isn't my story at all and I can't tell you all the specifics he did to get here. He will tell you that. All I can tell you is that my heart swells with pride just thinking about how far he's come. {**Sappy alert**} I fell in love with him the way he was (and thankfully he reciprocated)


From 2006ish - end of March 2009, we both lived like heath problems were 30 years away. We randomly joined a gym (and never went). We talked about eating better (rarely did it). All while continuing to earn our gold medals in the Unhealthy Olympics.

We'd probably still be on that plan right now, if Joey wasn't diagnosed with diabetes in 2009, when Bubba was a wee 2 weeks old. We were just trying to be responsible and get our life insurance in place, but Joey's life insurance physical didn't go quite the way we planned. We're thankful that it was caught when it was, but nothing makes you realize your mortality by staring at a life-changing diagnosis at the ripe old age of 28 (him) and 27 (me) with a brand new peanut depending on you for his every whim and need.


Fast forward two years. (I promise, Joey will fill you in on all the details.) Joey ran in his first race on Sunday - 4 miles!

(I forgot the camera and took this with my cell phone. Wife fail.) He ran with one of our besties, Kelli.

Obviously, I'm proud of his accomplishments, that goes without saying. (Although saying it never hurts either.) But this feels like such a big DEAL to me. It's like the simultaneously the culmination of 2 years of hard work as well as the beginning of a whole new era. He's literally beat diabetes. He RUNS now.

And most of all? Even though his health was never a mindful concern of mine until 2 years ago, it feels awesome to know that he's going to be around for a long, long time. Because now we have two peanuts who depend on us for their every whim and need. And that's kind of a big deal.

5 comments:

  1. So proud of the husband. I want to see a before and after pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a major accomplishment and you should be proud :) Way to go, Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go J! I am so glad to hear he is doing so well. Did it kill you to have to watch that run from the sidelines??? I would have been itching with jealousy!!!!! (Pregnancy sucks sometimes!)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing, Good for him! and YAY for better health!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so amazing! Can't wait to hear what J has to say about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!