Wednesday, June 8, 2011

hey jbug

We're excited for you to meet little J:



He's fantastic! In lots of ways he reminds us of Bubba, but he's definitely his own little man. I've looked back at  few pictures from around the time B was born and it's incredible how much they look alike. Of course they are brothers and all, but geesh!

Speaking of pictures, I so wish I would have taken more than I have up to this point. Must. take. more. photos!

I hate the the details of Jbugs's birth are already fading into post-labor amnesia, but I'll try to get down what I can. As I did with B's birth story, I offer the disclaimer that none of this is super gory or anything but there might be stuff you don't care about. :)

J's birth was a planned induction at 39 weeks, 5 days. We were supposed to be in labor and delivery at 5:00 am. As we are perpetually early to everything in life, except our childrens' births... we arrived at 5:00 on the dot. We were taken right back to a room and by 5:15, my IV was started. By 5:45 the pitocin was flowing. When I started I was 70% effaced and 3cm dilated.

It didn't take long for contractions to start and even out. Initially they were 4 1/2 minutes apart and I was still feeling great! Somewhere around this time it was 7am and we got a new nurse - Carol - we looooved her. She was fantastic, I told her we'd hire her to be our baby nurse. (Ha! If we had an extra million dollars lying around...) Carol later told me she was "known for her quick labors and fast deliveries", and she "delivered" on that promise.

Dr. C showed up around 8:00 I think. I love my OB, she's great! She broke my water and at that point I was 3.5cm and 60% effaced (different person doing the measuring... :) I was STARVING and it was only 8am. Carol was thinking a baby by lunchtime at this point and I was thrilled! She's been a labor and delivery nurse for 20 years, so she definitely has a feel for how these things would go.

At 9:30 Carol checked and I was 4cm and 80% effaced. I was still feeling good, but since I wanted an epidural, we decided to get in line for one so I didn't miss my window in case things started to go faster. L&D has their own anesthesiologist and I love that. But I was third in line for an epidural and thus began the longest hour ever. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but the contractions were not so much fun. I was able to breathe through them easily, but I hate the sense of doom knowing that the next one is only 2-3 minutes away. And you can see them coming on the monitor which seems to make it worse.

10:30ish brought a fabulous anesthesiologist who gave me a magical epidural. Ahh, sweet relief. And I was already at 6cm and 90% effaced - all that contracting the previous hour had done its job. When you get an epidural it can make your blood pressure drop a bit. Mine is already normally low, it had been running 100/70ish up to that point. 45 minutes after the epidural started, my blood pressure dropped to 80/50 and Jbug's heart rate dropped to 60 beats per minute (it had been hanging out around 130 bpm). Obviously not good. I felt awful... nauseous and shaky and generally miserable. Thankfully Carol rushed in and fixed things quickly.

Everything was easy peasy from that point on. I didn't go from 6-10cm quite as quickly as we'd hoped, but by 3pm, I was at 10cm and ready to meet him! We had to wait a few minutes for Dr C, but by 3:20 I was pushing and he made his entrance into the world 8 minutes later.

J had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice (just like B) and he was also holding onto it. Unlike B though, he came out screaming and Ready! To! Eat! and hasn't slowed down since.

B is the proudest big brother ever. He loves Jbug soooooo much. The transition from being an only child to being the big brother is going well. I was prepared for the worst, and have been pleasantly surprised. I haven't had them both by myself for more than a little while though. :)

We're so blessed with these two little guys. Jbug has only been here a week and yet it's hard to remember what life was like before him. I can't wait to see his personality grow, and watch the two of them becoming best buddies. Thank you so much for your love, we've felt every squeeze!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! He is sooo adorable. Couldn't be happier for the four of you ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is super cute and so alert. Love his name. Congrats mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I know I've kept up on Twitter and Facebook, but thought I would come by here to let you know how happy I am for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's sooooo long and skinny. I am so glad everything went so well. What a nice birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad things were relatively simple! Sounds like you are an old pro! Maybe you should plan another already. ;-)

    He's absolutely adorable, and I have enjoyed every step of his journey, thus far! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! He is adorable. LOVE his name ~ we have a Nathaniel Jude here. :) Enjoy your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh he is so precious! Congratulations! SO happy for you guys!enich

    ReplyDelete
  9. <3 I am glad you were able to get all the details out...in more than 140 characters! I am so very happy for you and your hapy family!

    <3

    Okay...my capcha phrase is "pootlimb" where do these things come from!? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!