Thursday, October 6, 2011

update from joey: finding a balance

Usually when someone else shares my story, they share that I had a large amount of weight loss in a relatively short amount of time. It's all very positive information, and it's all true, but the story has a bit more to it than you get in the 30 second version. These last few weeks have been the most challenging for me in a long time. Life has finally caught up with me and has been interfering more than helping me.

Winning the first weight loss challenge at Good Life Fitness was probably the coolest thing I have ever won in my life and one of the things I am most proud of! It was the initial goal I had in what I hoped would be a series of weight loss milestones. I was coming off a great high in winning that contest and felt a ton of pressure personally to make sure that I am in great health and to make sure that I am around for a long time to watch my kids grow, and to be a husband. But I also felt a lot of pressure from my peers at the gym. When your pictures are on a board that a lot of people see almost daily, I had a lot to live up to if I wanted to finish what was started. I want to prove not only to myself, but also to everyone at the gym - no matter if they're a staff member or a newbie - that I was worthy of winning that award. I know that for all that I have given to that gym, I have gotten back. It's awesome feeling to succeed personally while being able to assist other people on their journey as well.

I know that I should be hitting boot camp classes, working out in the weight room, and getting as much cardio in as possible! The last couple of weeks I have failed at almost all of those things due to excuses and life getting in the way. I would get so down on myself when I would miss class or gym session - it  made me feel like I was just reverting back to old ways, which is really scary.  I NEVER want to be back in the same situation I was in when I started at Good Life Fitness. It really bothers me when I don’t get the fitness aspect of my life in order. I fully know that when it comes to fitness and dieting that you if you stumble you have to get back up and try again, but the last couple of weeks it's been hard to get back up!

When you have one aspect of your life out of order, it usually means something else is out of order too. What I realized with the help of my wife, was I had NO plan. I would wake up in the morning and decide that x, y, and z are going to happen today for fitness. Do a "fly by the seat of my pants" fitness routine doesn't work, I was lucky to get x done, let alone y or z. Life would always have something different for me to do. Whether it was a sick kid or a work problem tying up my time, I never fully finished my workout agenda for that day. Steve always says that if you “fail to plan, you plan to fail” - this couldn't be more true. I was failing over and over again because I didn't have a weekly plan of what I wanted to accomplish.

I finally have a plan in place to do all of my boot camps in the early morning and lift weights over lunch. In turn, this will free up my nights for my family. After my second son was born this past June, our lives got turned upside down and our family has been finding our new normal as things have settled down. Having two working parents and shuttling kids to daycare and home requires a lot of communication and scheduling. What I failed to realize after he was born is that my exercise plan needed to be adjusted. I needed to find a balance to my life that included both family and fitness.

I encourage everyone to take a step back and review your fitness plan and make sure your plan is still working for you! I know sometimes working out just gets to be routine. It's possible that a small change could be a good thing for your fitness journey and your overall happiness.

Now that my new plan is in place and I am more than ready to continue on my new leg of journey to finish what I have started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!