Monday, January 30, 2012

simple meals: pulled pork

Since this blog is called life, simply lived, I've been thinking about ways to tell you about the little things I do to make our house run more efficiently. I inevitably fail mightily in this and routinely end up making things wayyy more complicated than they need to be, but I'm a work in progress.

Lately we've been trying to simplify our meals. At one point in our marriage, we were eating out often - and it usually was because we did the 6pm stare into the pantry, starving, and had no idea what we could make with what we had on hand. In an effort to save money and my sanity, I've started making a meal plan for 2 weeks at a time. We don't stick to it too rigidly, but it does help us make our grocery list (since we know what we'll need for ingredients). Two working parents means our cooking time doesn't begin until 5:30 - so they have to be simple and delish.

Every week-ish, I'll share a super simple, super tasty recipe that we've tried and loved.

This first one is so good, and so easy. I even tried it out on my bff and her husband this weekend, and they said "yummmm!", so I'll take that as a good sign.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Sidetrack pulled pork
via

what you'll need:
pork roast (# of lbs depends on how many you're serving, 2-3lbs works for our family of 2 1/4 people (since j only has 4 teeth), with leftovers
root beer (12+ oz, depending on the size of your roast)
bbq sauce (1-2 bottles, depending on the size of your roast) my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's, J's favorite is Cookies
hamburger buns

what you'll do:
Place the pork roast into your slow cooker. Add the root beer (it won't cover the roast, it should come 1-2" up the sides of the roast though). Cook on low for 6-10 hours (you can't mess it up). Remove the roast from the crock, cut off any fat. Discard the root beer from the crock. Chop/pull the pork and return it to the crock. Add bbq sauce (enough to make it stick together). Let it continue on low setting until it's hot and ready to eat. Serve on buns and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. if only I wasn't a vegetarian...Oh well! I will try this for my husband!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally VOUCH for this one. It is wicked good! In rotation every other week here. And I also took it to my neighbor right after she had her baby and she about DIED, saying it was the best they'd ever had. YUMZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got this on Pinterest and we love it here too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!