Wednesday, April 4, 2012

no sugar, day 10

I fully intended to update this before now, but here we are. Today is day 10 without [much] sugar and we're going strong. I say much because I donated blood last Friday and had a cookie; my blood pressure is so chronically low (like 92/60) that if I didn't have a little pick-me-up, I probably would have passed out in the car.

Did you know quitting sugar is trendy? Apparently so.

This past Sunday, 60 Minutes had a segment called "Is Sugar Toxic?" (watch it here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox).

It turns out, not only is sugar highly addictive (hello, I am the poster child for that), it also is at the root of causing type 2 diabetes (case in point: my husband), obesity, heart disease, stroke, and it worsens some types of cancer. I know, what doesn't cause cancer, right? It's not that we shouldn't enjoy a piece of birthday cake as a special, rare treat, it's that we eat so much sugar, all the time.

According to that 60 Minutes segment, Americans consume 130 pounds of sugar per year, that's 1/3 of a pound of sugar PER DAY. 1/3 of a pound! 5.33 ounces of the sweet stuff swirling in your tummy; a little over 1/2 Cup, if you need to get your measuring cup out to see the visual.

While I'm linking things:
My point in linking all of this isn't to stand on a soapbox and tell you how to do life - take it or leave it, but after reading/watching these pieces this past week, personally I'm now even more convinced that this was the right move for me.

::

So, how are we doing without sugar? Great, for the most part. Except for my blood donation cookie, I haven't had any sugar or fake sugar in 10 days. A few bullets to organize my swirling thoughts:
  • Sugar is in everything. Pasta sauce. Ketchup. Bread. Tortilla Chips. Salsa.
  • As I suspected, the nights after the boys are in bed and I'm working on my computer have been the worst for cravings. I want ice cream or cookies, always.
  • Quitting Diet Pepsi has shockingly been the easiest part of this, I don't even miss it.
  • I need to plant a lemon tree in our yard for all the lemons I'm consuming lately. I'm using about 1 a day in my water and iced tea. 
  • If there's sugar in something, I try to "just" make my own. We had sourdough bread out of the bread machine (sugar free! delish!), and I made my own salsa last weekend (that's the best salsa recipe ever, I've made it dozens of times, this time I just left the sugar out). 
  • Having carrots for breakfast is kind of weird, and they taste like sugar sticks after a week of no sugar.
  • I've lost 5 pounds! And I haven't done anything differently, in fact I've run less the past 10 days than ever due to scheduling/sickness/soreness/traveling.
  • I got sick, and sore. The sick (sinus) was just a bug passed around, but the soreness was like someone steamrolled me. I'm on the back side of that though now and feeling like the clouds are finally parting.
  • I was sleepy the first few days, maybe even the whole first week, but that's passing too. 
  • I don't necessarily crave specific sugar during the day (just at night), but I find myself scanning my brain for something I can eat when I'm hungry at 2pm - and often everything that sounds good has sugar in it. Like I can't just go get chips from the vending machine. And I can't have some ranch dip with my veggies. And no zucchini bread my coworker brought. All the stuff that's "healthier" (is it, really?) still has sugar in it.
Honestly? It really hasn't been that bad. I love the approach that the I Quit Sugar book takes, it's so very slow and gentle. I'm realizing there's a lot I need to reframe when it comes to sugar. That whole nighttime reward for surviving the day thing? I needed to find something else to look forward to allllll day so that when the night gets here I'm not feeling like "well crap, what do I do now?" - so Joey suggested we do a yoga/pilates video (don't laugh, we're super unflexible). And when I get to work in the morning, I looked forward to cracking open a Diet Pepsi - now I love the extra steps to cut and squeeze my enormous lemon chunk into my the freshly brewed iced tea I brought from home. See? Reframing.

I want to know if you're doing this too! And if you don't think you can, you can, I swear. Just try it, you might like it. And you're not losing anything by trying, you can always go back.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I just may have to look into that book. Ok, maybe stronger than may. Will. Yes, let's say "will". I'm just not promising on the when. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a tough cookie (made with Splenda?) for doing this. I always say I want to bust the sugar habit and that I'd be so much better off for it, but DANG. It is in everything, and I'm trained to want it.

    Well, if at first you don't succeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so dependent on pre prepared, convenient stuff. The thought od giving out up scares meas much as not giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diet Pepsi!!!! EEEEKKKK!!! The chemically engineered form of sugar is THE WORST. I allow myself to have only the real deal in limited amounts. I bet you giving that stuff up alone will change your life drastically. (seriously, I try to beat all my friends who drink diet sodas over the head, they are the WORST)

    I am so proud of you, you are doing so awesome. Lifestyle changes that are good... you feeling pretty awesome??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!