Saturday, June 2, 2012

hey, jude

Juderbug,

I don't know the last time your brother called you anything but Juderbug or Juders. It's been ages since he called you Jude - and before that Baby Jude. Little love, you are anything but a baby now. You've nearly quadrupled your birth weight; you're now big and tall with chunky cheekers, ocean blue eyes to match your daddy and brother's, and soft little curls - but only at the back of your head, just enough to make your curly-haired momma smile.

It seems like you came screaming into our lives both a moment ago and a decade ago. It seems like ages since I was pregnant. But it feels like just last week that everyone was assembling to welcome you into the world. I had no idea there could be a puzzle piece as perfect as you to complete our little family.

I was scared at first. Everyone said I'd love you differently than I loved your brother. Maybe not as deeply right away. That was true. After all, I had 2 years and 3 months of getting to know your brother. You were new to the scene and I loved you fiercely, you were - and are - mine. Your sweet face melted me. But I was scared that the love-you-so-much-it-physically-hurts feeling I had for your brother wouldn't come. Silly me. Kiddo, you had me wrapped around your chunky fingers, and in no time you were wrapping those fingers around my heart. And now, without question or hesitation, I love you so much it physically hurts.

It's been amazing watching you grow this past year. You are feisty, and determined. You stop at nothing to get what you want. I think this is why you started walking at the ripe old age of ten-and-a-half months. There was a period of a few weeks where I didn't see your forehead without a cut or bruise - you're fearless and tough. You smack into everything because you won't quit until you master whatever you're trying to do. Yet, you're very kind-hearted and oh, so sweet, and you seem to know your limits. You've already started pushing your boundaries, and with one simple "Jude! No!", you check my face to see if I'm serious, and then you just stop, no questions asked. You're not a cuddler. You like one hug and then you want to be on your way. Lately, you're a daddy's boy (I'm not worried, you still give me plenty of smooches).

People have started to sing Hey, Jude to you eleventymillion times in the past year. I secretly love this. I hope you love it too as you get older. Truthfully though, you weren't named after that song. We aren't exactly music aficionados... and certainly don't claim to even be Beatles fans. We didn't really name you after Jude in the Bible. Certainly not after Martha Stewart's granddaughter, Jude. We heard the name the night before we found out your gender, and it was the first name in a thousand that we both liked. It's very, very old, yet seems contemporary too. You're so very much a Jude. I try to picture you as some of the other names I liked - Cullen, or Emmett, or Grayson, or Kieran - and none of them even come close to fitting you.

My friend Jess has two little guys too. She shares this little poem when talking about her littlest:
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm breathing,
My baby you'll be.

I love those words so, so much. Jude, every day you try to defy what it means to be the "typical little brother". You stand on your own two feet (literally), and you have your own story to tell in this world.

No matter where you go, or what you do. I will love you then as I do now, on your first birthday. And you'll always, always be my baby.

Happy birthday, sugar boogers.

momma


10 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday, sweet Jude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you've made me tear up at work. Happy First Year to your gorgeous Juderbug.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birhday! He's such a cutie!
    I love that book "Like you forever".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, sweet Jude! Can't believe how fast our boys are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first few paragraphs really made me tear up because OH, can I relate to them so much.

    I cannot believe how fxast that year went. Insane.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late to the party, but Happy Birthday Jude!! Sweet post, and I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous. I can feel your love with every word. I love his name. Love it. When we were pregnant, we had a list a mile long of girl's names we liked and zip on the boy list. Jude was one we considered, but since we are practically BFF's, I figured it wouldn't be fair to steal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just made me tear up :) I had the exact same thoughts/fears. Oh how your heart just grows! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday sweet boy - you are loved more than you could know.

    and that book? is my favorite and I can't get through the first page without tears!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, Mama. this is just too sweet.

    and, i think you need to turn THIS into your next printable:
    "Kiddo, you had me wrapped around your chunky fingers, and in no time you were wrapping those fingers around my heart"
    (a 10tinytoes original!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!