Thursday, October 11, 2012

a good run of bad luck

"what is worth it is not always easy, what is easy is not always worth it."
-- Unknown, or I may have made it up

 
So, about this house thing. We've been in our current house for 5 1/2 years. We love it, but it's smallish - 2 bedrooms and just under 1200sq ft on the main floor (plus a finished basement). We have the best neighbors and we love our neighborhood. But, Brecken and Jude have shared a room since j was born, and it's not the most awesome thing ever - they wake each other up (not on purpose). We came to the realization this past spring that we could and should probably think about moving.

I grew up in a teensy town in Nebraska. A map dot, really. And? I loved it. I graduated with 17 people in my senior class, and small classes were something that I expected. I also grew up really close to Colorado, and I've spent the past five years trying to convince Joey that maybe we should explore moving to the foothills of Colorado - it's truly one of my favorite places on Earth. My soul is in Colorado.

But my heart is in Lincoln. I love this place. I love that it's 300,000 people, but it's really just an overgrown small town. Everybody knows somebody that you know. I thought maybe we should explore moving to a smaller town - somewhere that our kids could grow up and have the same experience I did. So we researched every small town within a 20 mile radius of Lincoln. We thought about acreages, and country living. We talked about developments out in the country - so you still have close neighbors!

We spent May, June, and July looking online at what felt like every house/lot/option in Lancaster County.

One Sunday, at the end of July, we drove out to the development where our new house is. It's on the far edge of town - something we were sure would be much too far away for our taste. But. We fell in love almost immediately. It quite literally had everything we wanted - wide open spaces, peace and quiet, smaller neighborhood, but still in city limits and close to everything. The house was shockingly in our price range, I thought for sure it would be over. It was only studs and concrete the first time we saw it, but I saw so much potential. It has the layout we want - split bedrooms so we all have a little privacy. Plenty of room to make a giant mess of toys in the basement. A beautiful kitchen, a covered deck. And my one must have - a big dreamy porch.

We put an offer on the house, it was accepted, and we quickly got ours on the market. There were lots of little things about the house, that I won't get into, that made things seem really "meant to be" - (not to get all kumbaya on you). Our house sold in 3.5 weeks, and we began the process of packing, and getting everything ready to go for the move.

And then our bad luck streak began. One day back in August, Jude was running a fever... normal viral something, and I stayed home with him. A few hours later, Brecken was found to have pinkeye (he's never had this before) and I picked him up from school, and later that day, Jude dropped a table on his hand, requiring an emergency trip to urgent care, and an x-ray (thankfully all was well). Things around the house started to break (things you don't want to have to fix before you move). My car needed a new muffler. Then our neighborhood lost water for an afternoon (our bad luck was spreading). 

The week our house sold, I realized I was having a miscarriage. It was a very, very early loss, and the peanut was gone before we ever realized it was there. It was a day of complete shock and confusion, and sadness. We were not, are not, looking to expand our family, we believe it is complete with our two beautiful cherubs. I lived with the "what if's" for a day, and then we moved forward, we had to.

Jude hurt his leg somehow in early September, we believe it was a high ankle sprain, but it required another x-ray and bloodwork to rule out anything more serious. If I thought I was sidelined with bad luck before, now I was doing it with a 30lb lovebug attached to my hip - we were his legs as his weren't able to walk. 

My car woes got worse, it was unexpectedly dead the day I flew out to Colorado to visit family (new battery, whee!). Then I needed a new sensor of some sort, then a new tire (also a new headlight and trunk light - what the heck?), and now we have a perpetual oil leak that cannot be fixed without hours of labor, and the transmission is really not awesome. 

One of the contractors working on repairs on our old house lost his brother to cancer the day he was supposed to work on our house. Seriously. Our luck is viral.

Last weekend, Jude spent 3 days with a 103.5° fever, on top of teething, he was a pathetic, sad, kiddo.

Tuesday I got rear-ended while driving home from work, and then we got really annoying/bad news about our house and our builder's unwillingness to finish part of the house they said they were going to (there will be more on this, when I am able to speak about it).

:::

I don't write all of this out for pity, or to be dramatic. At this point, it's kind of hilarious in a I-laugh-to-keep-from-crying way. This is the stuff of life. I know I'm predisposed at this point to look at all the crappy things that are happening to us and find a pattern and call it bad luck. I know that they're more pronounced than normal. I have friends fighting cancer, we've lost a friend to cancer this week - that stuff is the real bad luck here. Our stuff is just a blip on the radar, and I'm sure, someday, we'll look back and laugh. (Right?! Please tell me we will.)

We've also had a really good last few months. 

Photo by the always-amazing Tracy Wood Photography
We've laughed, a lot (again, sometimes to keep from crying). We've loved on each other, because it feels like we need to be closer to keep from being pulled apart. Some days it feels like we're just trying to make it until November 1st and all of this stuff will settle down.

We are so completely blessed to be moving into this house next week. I keep pinching myself wondering if this is for real - is this my real life?!


6 comments:

  1. Here's hoping your luck turns quickly. Wishing you a whole lot of health and happiness in your new home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! You've been through a crazy amount of stuff! Excited for your new place. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Yeah that's a lot. Best wishes things turn up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot. But you're new house is gorgeous. Leave all that bad mojo at your old home. :) thinking of you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes Alison, that is so much for one to deal with..Xtra big hugs and I hope that things turn around very very soon..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about your Peanut :-( Many hugs to you!!!
    Bad luck will eventually run out. I predict great things for you and the boys in your new house. I am super excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!